- Plain Rice (Bhat)
- cups rice (Basmati or Long grain preferred) 2
- cups (1 lt) water 4
- tsp butter (optional) 1
- Lentils (Dal)
- cups lentil (any kind) 11
- to 5 cups of water (depends preference of your consistency of liquid) 4
- tsp turmeric 1
- tsp garlic, minced 1
- tbsp clarified butter (ghee) 6
- cup sliced onions 0,75
- chillies (dried red chilies preferred) (depends on your preference) 2
- Salt to taste
- tsp (pinch) asafetida 1
- tsp (pinch) jimbu 1
- tbsp fresh ginger paste 1
2 1 Wash rice and soak for 5 minutes.
3 2 Wash rice and soak for 5 minutes.
4 3 Boil the rice over medium heat for about 10 -15 minutes. Stir once thoroughly. Add butter to make rice give it taste as well as make it soft and fluffy.
5 4 Turn the heat to low and cook, covered, for 5 more minutes until done
7 5 Wash lentils and soak lentil for 10 minutes.
8 6 Remove anything that float on the surface after it and drain extra water.
9 7 Add drained lentils in fresh water and bring to a boil again. Add all spices.
10 8 Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes until lentils are soft and the consistency is similar to that of porridge.
11 9 In a small pan heat the remaining of butter and fry the onions, chilies and garlic.
12 10 Stir into the lentils few minutes before you stop boiling. Serve with rice.